Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Drawing a line under 2014

Photo credit: The internets
So my plan had been to race the MuddyPuppy Trail 8k, then move on to Oktoberfest 5k, driving my enemies before me and hearing the lamentation of their women... er. So then two Fridays ago, I'm doing a set of plyometrics (jumps / skips / squats) and after the first set, my knee feels sort of odd, like when you hit your funny bone. I try a couple more skips, but decide to pack it in, letting good sense prevail. I limped home (literally) from the park, and decided that a couple days rest would sort this out.

Fast forward to the end of the weekend, when walking is still painful, and stairs are excruciating, I call my physio and get an appointment, at which tests seem to indicate it's not ligament/tendon/meniscus tearing, but there is some irritation of the capsule around the knee, which is causing swelling and pinching when the joint bends.

Therapy is icing, hip stability exercises and no running for 4 weeks. Maybe MRI in a week if things still suck.

Anyways, about those races. At this point, I'm going to call it as done, heal properly and then see what the winter brings. Maybe I'll just do trail and bike races next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment